How to Earn Continuing Education Units
Continuing Education Units (CEU) can be earned in a number of ways during any calendar year (January 1 to December 31). One CEU is awarded for each 50 minutes of training. Please note that there are limits to the number of CEUs that can be earned in some categories of training.
CEUs can be earned by attending Texas Municipal League (TML) or TML affiliate educational events. Examples of these events are:
- TML Annual Conference and Exhibition
- TML-TAMCC Elected Officials' Conference
- TML-TAMCC Newly Elected City Officials' Orientation
- TML Small Cities' Problem-Solving Clinics
- TML workshops
- TML regional meetings
- TML committee service
- TML board service
- TML affiliate conferences and workshops
- TML or TML affiliate recorded training (up to 14 CEUs per year for recorded sessions)
- TML webinars
If a CEU form is not provided on-site, you must submit a copy of the program to receive credit.
In addition to receiving CEUs for TML or TML affiliate events, you can earn CEUs for training offered by other organizations, with no more than 19 CEUs accepted from outside organizations. Examples of these events are:
- College courses
- Online training by outside organizations
- Training offered by city-related organizations (councils of governments, National League of Cities events, etc.)
To receive outside CEUs for an event sponsored by another organization, you must provide a copy of the program including session length and description. Outside CEUs will not be awarded without TML approval.
To be considered for TMLI credit, the training you receive must be educational in nature, pertain to municipal leadership, and should enhance your service as an elected official. City council meetings, council briefings, council workshops, and community service are not considered training events for the purpose of earning CEUs.