Levels of recognition include:
- Certified Municipal Official - An elected official who completes 72 or more Continuing Education Units (CEUs) in one calendar year will obtain the designation of certified municipal official. The 72 CEUs must include two hours of open government training taken in the current award year (one hour of training on the Open Meetings Act and one hour of training on the Public Information Act). This training is required by the State of Texas, and proof of training must be provided in the manner of a certificate or other documentation.
- Certificate of Outstanding Accomplishment - An elected official who completes 72 or more CEUs in one calendar year without completing open government courses will obtain a certificate of outstanding accomplishment.
- Certificate of Achievement - An elected official who completes 54 or more CEUs in one calendar year will obtain a certificate of achievement.
- Certificate of Recognition - An elected official who completes 42 or more CEUs in one calendar year will obtain a certificate of recognition.
Those receiving recognition on a recurring annual basis are eligible for the following award levels:
- Award of Excellence - An elected official who receives recognition in one of the above categories for five consecutive years will receive an award of excellence.
- Award of Leadership - A city that has had an elected city official receive a TMLI certificate for five consecutive years will receive an award of leadership.
Each recipient will receive recognition in the following ways:
- Your name, title, and city will be included in a list of TMLI recipients on the TML website and in an issue of the TML magazine, Texas Town & City.
In addition, certified municipal officials will receive a lapel pin and will have the designation of CMO included with their names on materials distributed by TML throughout the year following their completion of the required CEUs.
Recipients will be given a press release to announce their accomplishment.