October 6, 2023, Number 40
Governor Announces Third Special Session
Last week, Governor Abbott announced the third-called special session set to begin on Monday, October 9 at 1:00 p.m.
On Thursday, the Governor issued a proclamation declaring the following items for the special session agenda:
- Legislation providing education savings accounts for all Texas schoolchildren.
- Legislation to do more to reduce illegal immigration by creating a criminal offense for illegal entry into this state from a foreign nation and authorizing all licensed peace officers to remove illegal immigrants from Texas.
- Legislation to impede illegal entry into Texas by increasing the penalties for criminal conduct involving the smuggling of persons or the operation of a stash house.
- Legislation to impede illegal entry into Texas by providing more funding for the construction, operation, and maintenance of border barrier infrastructure.
- Legislation concerning public safety, security, environmental quality, and property ownership in areas like the Colony Ridge development in Liberty County, Texas.
- Legislation prohibiting COVID-19 vaccine mandates by private employers.
The League will keep the membership updated throughout the special session.
NLC Webinar to Help Cities Develop Cybersecurity Plan
The National League of Cities (NLC) is sponsoring a free cybersecurity webinar on October 10, 2023, at 1:00 PM (CST) to assist cities and towns in developing effective cybersecurity plans.
According to the National League of Cities’ (NLC’s) recent report: Protecting Our Data: What Cities Should Know About Cybersecurity, at least 25 percent of cities and towns do not have a cybersecurity plan. The webinar will offer insights on identifying vulnerabilities and implementing best practices and policies to protect data, as well as creating and executing a cybersecurity action plan.
City officials can register for the webinar here.