View All Posts

Apr 20

April 20, 2021 TML Coronavirus Update #182

Posted on April 20, 2021 at 3:02 PM by TML Staff

Urgent Updates


What’s the latest with regard to American Recovery Plan Act payments to cities?


The money should start being distributed soon, and cities must take certain steps to be eligible. Last week, the United States Treasury Department posted online the steps that metropolitan cities and non-entitlement cities’ units must take to receive their grants from the American Recovery Plan Act (ARPA). The following is taken directly from the Treasury site:




As soon as possible, metropolitan cities (generally those in an MSA with a population of 50,000 or more) should take the steps below.


1. Ensure the entity has a valid DUNS number. A DUNS number is a unique nine-character number used to identify an organization and is issued by Dun & Bradstreet. The federal government uses the DUNS number to track how federal money is allocated. A DUNS number is required prior to registering with the SAM database, which is outlined below. Registering for a DUNS number is free of charge.


If an entity does not have a valid DUNS number, please visit or call 1-866-705-5711 to begin the registration process.


2. Ensure the entity has an active SAM registration. SAM is the official government-wide database to register with in order to do business with the U.S. government. All Federal financial assistance recipients must register on and renew their SAM registration annually to maintain an active status to be eligible to receive Federal financial assistance. There is no charge to register or maintain your entity SAM registration.


If an entity does not have an active SAM registration, please visit, to begin the entity registration or renewal process. Please note that SAM registration can take up to three weeks; delay in registering in SAM could impact timely payment of funds. Click here for a quick overview for SAM registration


3. Gather the entity's payment information, including:


-Entity Identification Number (EIN), name, and contact information

-Name and title of an authorized representative of the entity

-Financial institution information (e.g., routing and account number, financial institution name and contact information)




Eligible non-entitlement cities (generally those under 50,000 population) will receive a distribution of funds from their respective state government. "Non-entitlement units of local government" are defined in 42 U.S.C. 5302(a)(5) that are not metropolitan cities.


For these non-entitlement units of local government, Treasury will allocate and pay funds to state governments, and the state will distribute funds to non-entitlement units of local government in proportion to population. Non-entitlement units must have a valid DUNS number to meet reporting requirements under the program. If an entity does not have a valid DUNS number, please visit or call 1-866-705-5711 to begin the registration process.”


Treasury has stated that program guidance for Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund will be released in the coming weeks.


Further Updates


Where can I find archived issues of the TML Coronavirus Updates?


TML Coronavirus Updates are archived by date here and by subject here.